Thursday, February 10, 2011

Adzuki Beans!

This is just fun to say: Adzuki Beans! AddddZoooooKeeeey!
These are little red-purple beans with a white fleck. They are actually a color called puce, which is the color of a tick. I know, highly appetizing, right?
I had heard and read a good bit about these beans. Gillian McKeith, the Scot Tyrant Holistic Nutrionist, says they are helpful for weightloss. Lots of fiber, good nutrients like potassium and magnesium (good for you if you are a charlie-horse person) but a lot of calories. The latter adds up to 320 calories per HALF CUP! I know, a lot - but it is very filling, lots of protein so you can have a bowl of these with no meat and feel pretty good about yourself.
I soaked mine overnight, drained and rinsed and then added 3 cups fresh water to my 1 cup of beans with about a tbl of Vigo Ham Base (powdered soup base) and a pinch of sea salt.
My stove is still new to me so I had to adjust, but I got a boil for about 5 minutes and then a nice simmer for an hour. I added a little water to get the amount of pot likker (bean juice in this case) I wanted and simmered until the beans were just tender and good from the seasoning.
I had a nice bowl of beans, which amounted to 3/4 cup of actual beans and 1/2 cup nummy bean juice.
And I wasn't hungry an hour or even two or three hours later. I am 4 1/2 hours out now from Aduki/Adzuki bean dinner and am STILL food happy.
Maybe hateful Gillian has a point. I guess I'll try the warm glass of water with lemon tomorrow morning...
**Gillian McKeith is the host of "You Are What You Eat" on BBC America.

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of those beans. Are they hard to find, or will Publix have them? They do sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Publix does but they are high there.Health food stores often have them in bulk and I bet Whole foods dies too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Side note to Adzuki beans.... Hawaiians add them to their Shaved Ice. I never had them in my shaved ice... but it's an island specialty :)

    ReplyDelete

Say Something! Even if you have to comment as anonymous.